The City of Norwood Young America Administration Department is responsible for not only implementing City policies, but for also overseeing daily municipal functions and departmental activities. City finances, personnel activities, and utility billing are additional responsibilities of City Administration.
The Public Services Department is responsible for maintaining Norwood Young America’s streets, parks, and public buildings. While the Department is responsible for completing general repairs that are required throughout the City, the Department is also responsible for street system, park maintenance, water system maintenance, maintains sewer/ water mains and the efficient operation of the Wastewater Treatment Plant.
Employees of the Public Services Department are also responsible for snow plowing during the winter months.
The Public Services Department is located at 24 Third Ave Southeast
Public Services Director
For Utility Billing questions, or to register for service, please contact Alicia Menzel.
Automatic Bill Pay
The City of Norwood Young America now offers Automatic Bill Pay.Click here to sign up! (pdf)
The City of Norwood Young America bills for water and sewer on a monthly basis. If you have any questions about your water bill, please contact the Utility Billing Clerk at 952-467-1800.
The City of Norwood Young America is also your water utility company. We provide low cost access to the municipal water supply. Your bill is based on your use. That means if you use more then you will pay more. In order to save money, you should conserve water.
There are several things you could easily do to conserve water in your bathroom. If you take shorter showers, you can save up to seven gallons of water a minute. When you take a bath, try to use less water in the tub. Installing special toilets, shower heads and faucet aerators can save large amounts of water over time. If a new special toilet seems a little far-fetched for you right now, you can modernize your existing tank by putting a brick or a full plastic bottle inside. Cutting down on the number of flushes can also save large amounts of water. Make sure that when you are shaving or brushing your teeth that you do not leave the water running. Most faucets can use two or three gallons a minute.
The kitchen and the laundry room are other places in the house that can use a lot of water. To reduce your use, the most effective technique is to only run the dishwasher and washing machine when full. As always, cutting down on the amount of time that water is running is also important. Faucet aerators also work well in the kitchen.
There are other ways you can save water, too. Sweeping your driveway instead of hosing it off and watering your lawn less are often recommended. The type of hose nozzle that you use can also create savings. However, probably the most important thing to do is to stop drips and leaks. A slow drip wastes almost twenty gallons of water a day and that adds up on your water bill.
The City of Norwood Young America volunteer Fire Department provides assistance during emergency situations for the City and the surrounding area.
FDNYA Contact Information:
23 3rd Ave SE
Station Chief: Mark Thomas
327 Elm Street W
Station Chief: Chris Glander
The NYA Fire Department Scholarship is open to graduating seniors who live within our fire district, is a member of the Southwest Carver County Fire Explorers OR has a parent or grandparent is a current or retired member of the NYA Fire Department. Click below for more information.
Norwood Young America Scholarship Eligbility Form
Norwood Young America Scholarship Application
Open burning permits are not available to residents within the city limits of Norwood Young America. Recreational fires under three feet in height and three feet in diameter are not required inside the city limits of Norwood Young America.
For those outside the city limits of Norwood Young America, open burning permits can be obtained online by visiting the DNR’s website or by contacting a local Fire Warden or Carver County Environmental Services.
Fire Wardens may only issue permits to residents within their jurisdiction.
Click here for more information about burn permits (pdf) and for the contact information of your fire warden.
The Norwood Young America Fire Department is constantly striving to inform the public about fire prevention and safety techniques within our service area and beyond. The fire department participates in a variety of open houses during the year, as well as outreach in our schools and community events.
Keep checking back to see when our next community event is, or follow one of the links below to read more about fire prevention and safety!
Click on the links below to learn more.
- You’ve got a medical or fire emergency and you’ve had to call 911. What now? Here are some tips on what to do before the fire department arrives.
- Some quick facts about fires involving cooking, electricity, smoking, candles and more. Brought to you by the National Fire Protection Association.
- Every hour 273 Americans suffer a burn injury. 25% of them will seek emergency or hospital treatment. Know what to do immediately after a burn.
- With the winter season now upon us, the Fire Department would like to share some tips on safely getting through Minnesota’s winter season.
- Recommendations, tips and rescue information from the Minnesota DNR regarding ice on Minnesota lakes. Remember, NO ice is 100% safe!
Make a Fire Escape Plan
- EVERY family should have a fire escape plan and practice it at least TWICE a year. Download this FEMA grid (pdf) to draw your own and practice with your family!
- Are you looking to purchase fire escape solutions for your homes? Click on this link for various ladders and emergency kits for your home or your business!
- Approximately 250 people in the United States died last year from the “Silent Killer”. Follow these tips to help protect you and your family this winter.
- Information on the dangers of using and producing Meth – brought to you in part from ThePartnership for a Drug-Free America
- You would assume that a smoke detector would wake up your family, right? Not so fast. Watch these videos and learn more.
- Go to this site for TONS of information including smoke alarm comparisons, fire safety for older adults, rural fire safety, sprinkler information and much more.
- The authority on fire, electrical, and building safety
- Disaster relief, health & safety and blood donations
- Fire safety information and downloads
- Get Informed. Get Prepared. Get Connected.
- Providing vision, leadership, and direction for the Minnesota fire service
- State Fire Marshal Division of the State of Minnesota
- Annual German festival in Norwood Young America every August!
- Fun and educational resources for school age children
- Program for boys and girls ages 14-20 interested in learning firefighting skills and first responder skills.
- The vial contains important medical information that can assist emergency personnel in an emergency.
Policing in the City of Norwood Young America is provided by the Carver County Sheriff’s Department and also a Town Deputy.
Carver County Sheriff’s Deparment
Phone: 952-361-1231 (non-emergencies)
Planning & Zoning
The Planning Commission is a seven-member commission, which conducts public hearings regarding all planning related activities, including but not limited to, amendments to the zoning ordinance, plat approval, variances, conditional use permits, etc.Continue reading about Planning and Zoning
This Commission advises the City Council on issues concerning commercial and industrial development within the City.Continue reading about the Economic Development Department